Jackson Garry

Jackson Garry


(Added from my personal blog Little Bird Birth Blog this was written in 2016).

oh baby J’s birth story.

Incredible. Amazing. Challenging. Hard. Intense. Love. Joy. Excitement. These are some words  that come to mind when remembering the birth of my baby boy.

After a few pre-term labour scares, my true labour started on August 11,2016. At around 12:30 I had my membranes stripped by my midwife as I had been contracting and dilating for two weeks and was exhausted from no sleep and contractions every 5-10 mins. My midwife and I didn’t think that this stripping of my membranes would be successful the first time… little did we know….

2:30pm August 11,2016: I’m in shoppers drug mart picking up extra preemie diapers just in case. There was another pregnant lady beside me in the lineup and we were chatting about our due dates. Mine was September 1. Hers was end of October. While I was chatting with her the contractions I had been feeling for two weeks all of a sudden got intense.. and I mean INTENSE. Bang every 4mins apart. So I got into the car and drove myself home, warmed up a bean bag and let them just roll. I called my fiance and told him he needed to come home and let his boss know that he probably wasn’t going to be at work the next day. Silly guy ended up having to stay late for work and got home around 5:30pm. By this time my contractions were still every 5-10 minutes apart and lasting for about 45 seconds to 1 minute long. I had a bath, and got my fiance to massage me, called my parents, and then before I knew it, it was 11:00pm. We went to the hospital, they checked me and I was about 2.5cm dilated.They sent me back home with gravol and that knocked me out.

5:59am: I get up to go pee and GUSH, my water broke. A slight panic kicked in because I knew this was real. I would be meeting my son in the next day or so and I was both ecstatic and terrified. Would I be a good mom? Can I really do this? I was scared, that’s for sure. After my water had broken, the contractions became so intense it was hard to move. (Note: I still had a 30 minute car ride to the hospital at this point). We loaded up the dog for daycare, got into the Jeep and were on our way. Let me tell you something… labouring in a confined space such as a car is NOT ideal! haha it was so awful.. I was so uncomfortable, in so much pain, and then I got stuck in the fear/anxiety circle because I knew that another contraction was coming and I was not mentally or physically prepared to handle it.

We arrived at the hospital at around 7:00am. My midwife hadn’t arrived yet so the nurses weren’t able to give me anything for the pain. I was rocking back and forth on my knees on a chair groaning and gripping it so hard i thought my fingers were going to fall off.  (thankfully, they did not). I was so scared of each contraction I was begging the nurses at this point to give me something for pain (My original plan was to go au natural…. I was open to pain medications and an epidural but I really wanted to labour as long as I could naturally without any pain medications) that lasted a whole 15 minutes haha! They checked me, I was 3 cm dilated, and then gave my laughing gas and a shot of morphine. Both did absolutely nothing to relieve the pain, the gas just helped regulate my breathing. I walked around the unit and then decided on hopping into the shower for 3 whole hours.

The water felt AMAZING. and my fiance was so so good. he just sat and helped me by keeping the water on my back or my stomach and handing me the laughing gas whenever a contraction came. I finally decided to get out of the water because I was becoming a prune and I requested an epidural at that point. I was about 6cm dilated when I received the epidural. It didn’t hurt when it went in, and started working about 15 minutes later. Unfortunately, a side effect of getting an epidural is that it slows down your labour (it did that to mine) so they gave me Pitocin. After getting the pitocin, I could still feel my contractions and I went from 6cm to 10cm in an hour.

Here’s the scary part: baby J was coming out face first. They called the OBGYN, called my midwife and the nurse all checked me and they could feel his eyeballs. My midwife told me I would most likely be having a c-section. Both jake and I were terrified at this point. Our parents hd just left and gone for supper so none of them were with us either. The OBGYN then checked me again and thankfully baby J had rotated himself and was no longer face first. It was about 7:00pm at this time. Around 9:30 I told my nurse that the epidural was wearing off and I felt I needed to push. She checked me and I was 10cm  again.

I pushed for 2.5 hours and baby J was born at 11:59pm on August 12, 2016. As soon as he was crowning my midwife let me take over and I caught him on my own. It was the most incredible feeling. I honestly have no words to describe that moment other than love. I had no tears, just extremely bad hip pain, and I had immediate skin to skin after he was born. Jake (my fiance), cut the cord after it stopped pulsing and then I delivered my placenta.


It was my experience with my Midwife that has inspired me to want to become a Midwife as well. I will no longer be returning to my RN program, and instead staying home with baby J until he is a little older and taking the Doula course in the meantime until I am ready to go back to university to complete the Midwife degree.